- About Immunology
- Graduate Program
- Postdoctoral Studies
- Seminars & Events
Michael J. Bevan, Ph.D., F.R.S. (EMERITUS)
Michael J. Bevan, Ph.D., F.R.S.
Dr. Bevan received his Ph.D. in Immunology at The National Institute for Medical Research int Mill Hill, London, in 1972. Prior to joining the University of Washington in 1990, he held positions at Scripps Research Institute in La Jolla, California, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology,and The Salk Institute. He retired August 31, 2015, from his position as a Howard Hughes Medical Institute Investigator. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society of London, and a member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
Dr. Bevan retired from the University of Washington and the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) on August 31, 2015 and was appointed Professor Emeritus.
1. Mehlhop-Williams, E.R. and M.J. Bevan (2014) Memory CD8+ T cells exhibit increased antigen threshold requirements for recall proliferation. J. Ep. Med. in press.
2. Zhang, N. and M.J. Bevan (2013) TGF-β signaling controls the formation and maintenance of gut-resident memory T cells through distinct mechanisms. Immunity 39: 687-696.
3. Murphy, S.C., A. Kas, B.C. Stone and M.J. Bevan (2013) A T cell response to a liver-stage Plasmodium antigen is not boosted by repeated sporozoite immunizations. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 110: 6055-6060.
4. Zhang, N. and M. J. Bevan (2012) TGF-β signaling to T cells inhibits autoimmunity during lymphopenia-driven proliferation. Nat. Immunol. 13: 668-673. PMID: 22634866
5. Zhang, N. and M.J. Bevan (2011) Foot soldiers of the immune system. Immunity 35: 161-168. PMID: 21867926
6. Wakim, L.M., A. Woodward-Davis and M. J. Bevan (2010) Memory T cells persisting within the brain after local infection show functional adaptations to their tissue of residence. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 107: 17872-17879. PMID:20923878
7. Zhang, N. and M. J. Bevan (2010) Dicer controls CD8+ T-cell activation, migration, and survival. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA, 107: 21629-21634. PMID:21098294
8. Bevan, M. J. (2011) Memory T cells as an occupying force. Europ. J. Immunol. 41: 1192-1195. PMID: 21469134
9. Bevan, M. J. (2011) Understand memory, design better vaccines. Nat. Immunol. 12:463-465. PMID: 21587308
10. Wakim, L. M. and M. J. Bevan (2011) Cross-dressed dendritic cells drive memory CD8+ T-cell activation after viral infection. Nature 471: 629-632. PMID: 21455179
B.Sc., Zoology, University College, London
M.Sc., Biochemistry, University College, London
Ph.D., The National Institute for Medical Research, Mill Hill, London