- About Immunology
- Graduate Program
- Postdoctoral Studies
- Seminars & Events
Careers & Outcomes
UW Immunology graduates have become successful researchers and scientists in both academia and industry. Professional careers based on an Immunology PhD can include:
- Academic positions
- Government agency research positions
- Private biotechnology or scientific industry researcher
- Scientific consultant to government, non-profit or private organizations
The successes of our alumni are the best testimony to the quality and depth of the UW Immunology graduate program. Since the start of the graduate program in 1989, our Immunology PhD alumni have advanced in many directions:
- UW Immunology alumni are postdoctoral fellows in high-profile labs, working with researchers such as Rafi Ahmed, Lewis Lanier, Philippa Marrack, Diane Mathis and Klaus Rajewsky.
- Many UW immunology alumni work as private sector researchers at institutions such as the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Sandia National Labs, Zymogenetics, Amgen, Novo Nordisk, Genentech, INSERM (Lyon, France), SNBL USA, Biogen Idec and Wyeth Vaccines Research.
- Physician Scientists with MD/PhD degrees from UW Immunology and the Medical Scientist Training Program include:
- Catherine Blish, Faculty Member in the Division of Medicine and Infectious Disease, Department of Medicine, Stanford University
- Michael Deftos private practice in San Francisco and San Jose, CA -anatomic pathology and clinical pathology
- Michelle Dossett is staff physician in Internal Medicine at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Harvard)
- James Lord is Research Associate Member at the Beneroya Research Institute in Seattle;
- Stephanie Page, faculty member in the Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Department of Medicine, University of Washington, and Section Head, Division of Metabolism, Endocrinology, and Nutrition, Harborview Medical Center, Seattle
- Michael Tasch, Snoqualmie Ridge Kidney Center and private practice at Eastside Nephrology & Hypertension,Kirkland
Other UW Immunology Alumni:
- Laurence Cheng received an MD PhD (Immunology) from the UW and went on to pediatric residency at UCSF working in the laboratory of Richard Locksley, M.D., examining the regulation of IgE function. He is currently a faculty member and pediatric immunologist and allergist at UCSF.
- Rosalynde (Lynda) Finch is Senior Medical and Outcomes Science Liaison at Biogen Idec in Seattle. Lynda writes, “The rigorous training in writing grants and papers I received as a graduate student has been a tremendous asset. The frequent presentations I made in graduate school for journal club and lab meetings were also key preparation, and lastly, the independent nature of the work I did in Phil [Greenberg’s] lab prepared me to be an independent investigator very early in my career.”
- Ananda Goldrath is a Professor in the Section of Molecular Biology at the University of California, San Diego.
- Joseph Sun is a research immunologist at the Sloan-Kettering Institute. Joe studies NK cells with the goal of further understanding the molecular and cellular mechanisms involved in NK cell development, effector function, and generation of memory.
Professional Development Resources
- UW Graduate School Professional Development offers workshops and information.
- Science AAAS's offers career development resources for scientists.
- University of Washington Bioscience Career Seminars are seminars provided by the School of Medicine highlighting individuals who are successful scientists in a variety of fields.
- University of Washington Center for Career Services provides career advice and resume building assistance.
- American Association of Immunologists lists US & international postdoctoral opportunities.
- ScienceCareers is the source for job search, career fairs, resume database and more. Employers can post job openings and view resumes on this site.
- Nature journals contain career opportunities and information on national career development.
- BioSpace posts information about careers in science and offers a search engine for job postings in biotechnology.
- United States Department of Agriculture provides information on career in agriculture and science.
- Washington Life Sciences is a career resource for local life science organizations and companies.